While leather jackets are not typically associated with summer due to their insulating properties, some wear them during the warmer months. Wearing a leather jacket in the summer can be a stylish and edgy choice, but adapting your outfit to the warm weather is essential. Here are some tips on how to wear a leather jacket in the summer while staying comfortable and fashionable:
1- Ventilated leather
Look for leather jackets with ventilation options like zippered vents or perforated leather. These features can help improve airflow and keep you cooler.
Also, choose breathable materials for your inner layers when selecting your outfit. Natural fabrics like cotton and linen are excellent choices as they help wick away moisture and keep you comfortable.
2- Open front
An open-front leather jacket, often referred to as a leather vest or waistcoat, can be a stylish and comfortable option for summer. It provides the edgy look of leather without the added warmth of sleeves.
3- Opt for lightweight leather
Opt for a lightweight leather jacket made from thinner and breathable leather. Lambskin or goat leather jackets are good choices for the summer as they are more lightweight and comfortable than thicker cowhide jackets.
If you have a sleeveless leather vest or waistcoat, it can be an even cooler alternative to a full jacket. Pair it with a lightweight shirt or tank top.
Layer with lightweight clothing
Keep your layering minimal. Wear a lightweight, breathable t-shirt or tank top under your jacket. Avoid heavy sweaters or thick shirts, as they can make you feel suffocated in the heat.
If you have a leather jacket with removable sleeves or a vest-style jacket, these can be excellent options for summer wear. You get the leather style without the added warmth of long sleeves.
4- Pair with summer-friendly bottom
Balance the warmth of your leather jacket with cooler bottoms. Consider wearing shorts, lightweight linen pants, or summer skirts to keep your legs cool.
5- Leather Jacket Lining For Summer
For a summer leather jacket, choosing a lining that enhances breathability and comfort is crucial. Here are some lining options suitable for summer leather jackets:
- Unlined Leather: An unlined leather jacket is the lightest and most breathable option. Unlined leather allows for maximum airflow and helps prevent overheating. This is an excellent choice if you want the minimalistic look and feel of leather without added layers.
- Cotton Lining: A cotton lining is suitable for a summer leather jacket. Cotton is a natural and breathable fabric that can help wick away moisture and keep you cooler. Look for jackets with lightweight cotton linings.
- Mesh Lining: Some summer leather jackets feature a mesh lining. Mesh linings are highly breathable and allow for better ventilation, making them a good option for warm weather.
- Partial Lining: If you prefer the structure that lining provides but want to maintain breathability, consider a jacket with partial lining. Jackets with only partial linings on the shoulders or back can offer comfort while allowing heat to escape.
- Coolmax or Moisture-Wicking Lining: Some high-performance summer leather jackets may come with Coolmax or moisture-wicking linings. These linings are designed to wick sweat away from your body, helping to keep you cool and dry.
- Silk Lining: Silk linings can be lightweight and comfortable, making them a viable option for summer leather jackets. Silk has natural moisture-wicking properties and can feel smooth against the skin.
- Bemberg Lining: Bemberg lining is a breathable, moisture-wicking material often used in higher-end leather jackets. It provides a luxurious feel while helping to keep you cool.
- Removable Lining: Some leather jackets come with removable linings. This versatility allows you to wear the jacket with or without the lining, making it adaptable to varying weather conditions.
- Custom Linings: If you have a leather jacket custom-made, you can choose the lining material that best suits your preferences. Discuss your options with the tailor or leather specialist to ensure you get the lining that meets your needs.
When shopping for a summer leather jacket, pay attention to the lining material and consider your comfort level in warm weather. Ultimately, the choice of lining will impact how well the jacket performs in hot conditions, so select a lining that aligns with your specific requirements and the climate in which you plan to wear the jacket.
Wearing a leather jacket in the summer is undoubtedly challenging but by no means impossible. Use your judgment based on the specific weather conditions, and wear the leather jacket that suits your style best.